[Measurement-wg] Fwd: [mat-wg] Cross-connecting Communities : hackathon about the Internet health

Amreesh Phokeer amreesh at afrinic.net
Wed Apr 8 06:38:40 UTC 2020

At AFRINIC, we are want to understand the impact of COVID-19 pandemic
on the Internet infrastructure especially in the countries currently
in lockdown. As such we would like to understand the following:

- What is the impact of the lockdown on the Internet infrastructure in
Africa? Are we seeing any congestion?
- Do we see different traffic levels at IXPs?
- What type of behaviour do we observe? More zoom usage? More netflix
usage? More gaming?
- Are the behaviours the same for users on mobile broadband vs wired?
- What is the impact/difference for wired vs wireless Internet access?
- Have we seen major routing chances/impact with the lockdown?
- Are we observing any increase/decrease in other types of traffic for
e.g. spam/virus
- Have mobile providers zero-rated important information on the pandemic?
- Are certain applications more privileged (traffic differentiation)
amongst operators?

RIPE NCC is organizing a virtual hackathon:

For those interested to join? The next weekly video chat will take
place on Monday, 13. April:
1PM UTC / 3PM CEST (on Jitsi)
https://jitsi.hamburg.freifunk.net/WiseGeeseUniteCarefully
Chat channel: slack.ooni.org / #ooni-dev

More information here:
https://pad.riseup.net/p/ripe-ncc-corona-hackathon-keep