[Icann-aswg] Way forward

Nii Quaynor nquaynor at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 04:44:17 SAST 2012

Pierre,

On Sep 2, 2012, at 22:21, Dandjinou Pierre <pdandjinou at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> After our successfull gathering in Mauritius, I wish to inform that we
> now need to move forward so that the expected recommendations are
> ready by 30th september.

We first have to ask secretariat/AfriNIC to add the other 5 members on list

> Before that deadline, we need to make sure the community has at least
> 15 days for its comments, suggestions and proposals on strategic
> objectives and projects.

Yes
> One way of doing this is to post key documents on a website that is
> accessible to the public;
we ask secretariat/AfriNIC to create a public website for ASWG and send a brief report to community lists and ask to visit site for more information and give feedback
> those documents could be :
> -Tors of the ASWG
> - Facts on Connectivity and  Internet in Africa
> - the Three SWOT analyses
> - draft strategic objectives and projects
>
> Anything else?
Yes. We have not analyzed the questionnaire input from community completely for public use eg 17 responses, from these countries, these constituencies, what they proposed (in their swot-you almost have it), which physical type of presence they recommended, which countries they recommended for hosting office, africa contribution, icann benefits, and several others. These must be captured into a separate document

If we don't do that it's like we didn't listen to community
> Kindly share your ideas on how to best engage with the
> community at this point.
We should ask the community specific questions about the strategic objectives eg if it addresses African concerns, what projects they see appropriate, etc. my assumption is that these answers will inform our recommendations to ICANN
> Regards
The real ASWG remaining work includes:
- how to filter the 4 SWOTs (3 stakeholder SWOTs + community swot) to a single table of less than 5 items each per column
- elaborate the strategic objectives to a paragraph following ICANN sample style (using common language ) associated with tables
- a presentation telling the story of the 3 month effort
- analysis of community feedback on strategic objectives (when we receive them-use AfriNIC survey online tool to ease this)
- develop recommendations to ICANN

In summary this is what we must submit to ICANN on 30th September
- presentation
- recommendations
- initial community input document
- Facts Africa and ICANN presentation
- ASWG swot
- ASWG objectives, projects, measures document
- final community input on objectives document
- URL link to all other ASWG public documents
> Pierre

Nii