{Disarmed} Re: [Icann-aswg] FW: ICANN News Alert -- Agreement Signed to Expand L-Root Servers Across Africa

Barrack Ong'ondo Otieno barrack at aftld.org
Mon Oct 22 05:33:06 SAST 2012

Hi Fadi,

I also join the Chair in thanking you for the confidence you bestowed upon
the working group to enable it deliver its task within such a short period
of time. To Tarek, Pierre, Afrinic and all my other colleagues well done,
keep up with the same spirit it was a pleasure working with such a
committed team and we look forwad to continued engagement with ICANN.

Best Regards

On Sun, October 21, 2012 3:06 pm, Nii Quaynor wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Fadi
>>
>> From: ICANN News Alert <communications at icann.org>
>> Date: Friday, October 19, 2012 11:10 AM
>> To: ICANN Board of Directors <icann-board at icann.org>
>> Subject: [icann-board] ICANN News Alert -- Agreement Signed to Expand
>> L-Root	Servers Across Africa
>>

>> News Alert
>>
>> http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-19oct12-en.htm
>>
>> Agreement Signed to Expand L-Root Servers Across Africa
>> 18 October 2012… ICANN and the Africa Network Information Center
>> (AFRINIC) have signed an agreement pledging to work collaboratively to
>> identify additional potential locations for the expansion of L-Root
>> anycast instances in Africa.
>>
>> The placement of instances of root servers is important to the
>> infrastructure of the Internet in Africa.
>>
>> "This agreement comes in at a perfect time here in Toronto when ICANN
>> has unveiled a new initiative to increase presence and participation
>> across our region" said Adiel Akplogan, AFRINIC's Chief Executive
>> Officer. "Besides policy related discussions and participation, Africa
>> needs to strengthen the resiliency of its Internet Infrastructure in
>> order to attract local contents investments."
>>
>> "This very important agreement is a further reflection of the hard work
>> of the Africa stakeholders and their spirit of engagement" said Fadi
>> Chehadé, President and Chief Executive Officer of ICANN. "Our
>> commitment to this sort of cooperative effort is framed by the
>> initiative of the Africa Support Working Group, which is aimed at
>> increasing African participation in ICANN."
>>
>> The Africa Support Working Group presented its three year initiative
>> during ICANN's 45th public meeting in Toronto, Canada. The agreement
>> between AfriNIC and ICANN marks the first implementation of the Africa
>> Strategy.
>>
>> Under the signed agreement, AFRINIC is willing to help ICANN strengthen
>> the resilience of the DNS further by helping to identify potential
>> additional physical locations that host L-Root.
>>
>> Using geographically diverse locations for name servers strengthens the
>> global Internet because a dispersed system cannot be taken offline by a
>> problem at any single instance of a given DNS root server.
>>
>> "L-Root" refers to one of thirteen computers that anchor the globe's
>> Domain Name Service (DNS). Where computers locate one another on a
>> network by numeric address, humans find it easier to use and remember
>> names (for instance, users typically remember "ICANN.org" more easily
>> than its IP address, 2620:0:2d0:200::7.) The Domain Name System matches
>> domain names with their correct numeric addresses on the Internet.
>>

>> ICANN | 12025 Waterfront Drive Suite 300 | Los Angeles, CA 90094-2536
>> Email Marketing by
>>
>> Manage Your Subscription

> --
> dangerous content by KeNIC MailScanner, and is
> believed to be clean.
>
> Kenya Network Information Center (KENIC)

Barrack Otieno
Administrative Manager
Africa Top Level Domains Organisation
CCK Complex Waiyaki Way (C/o KeNIC)