[Icann-aswg] we support aswg

Jean Robert Hountomey - AfricaCERT hrobert at africacert.org
Thu Oct 4 13:10:30 SAST 2012

Dear Al,

AfricaCERT welcomes this initiative for increasing ICANN's presence in
the African continent.

As you have outlined in the S.W.O.T analysis, the African continent
suffers from several weakness but Africa is one of the richest and
promising region.
The fact that Icann's internationalization Strategy towards the African
continent is unknown to African governments, public and private sectors
could be a reason of the lack of interest and participation.
This absence has led to many miss understanding of ICANN's mission and
objectives in the region. The landscape the continent confronts has many
facets dominated by the lack of predictable Internet environment.
ICANN is seen as an entity under the U.S government control, Regulators
want to restrict internet services, control prices and  set technical
standards, private sectors and entrepreneurs want to invest in the
internet economy but face multiples barriers and rigid guidelines,
public sector doesn't have a strong and unified voice to name those few.

Ira Magaziner (March, 2011) refreshed us on ICANN's founding principle
at the ICANN 40 meeting in San Francisco. We see the ASWG as one effort
to make effective ICANN's presence the African Continent and we support it.

The AfricaCERT community stands with you in area related to security as
described in the Strategic Matrix.

Jean Robert Hountomey
Africa Computer Emergency Response Team
16 Boundary Road, East Legon