[Icann-aswg] Comments on ASWG draft

ALAIN AINA aalain at trstech.net
Wed Oct 3 13:41:29 SAST 2012

Dr Quaynor and  WG members,

First of all thank you all for leading this process since the meeting in Dakar. The SWOT analysis and the Strategic matrix are well detailed and accurate. They show the issues and the challenges but also the opportunity Africa presents.

May i sugest that:

1- For the projects, we try to establish what the African community(including various stakeholders) should do and  should be the leads ?

I think  this is important as the final objectives shall be local participation and  ownership. We have local and regional organizations, govts, etc... doing stuffs or which can lead or take part of projects or activities to help meet the goals.

2- We clearly  state what should change in the approach  this time to make more impacts ( it is not clear in the SWOT analysis)?

Things have been done( for example:  ICANN support to ccTLD, the debates on new gtld process and costs for developing countries, etc....), but we are still where we are which the SWOT analysis describes well

"Treat AFRICA as a specific Internet Ecosystem":  What to change from lessons learnt  and what to do.

- --Alain