[IANAOversight] Progress report: Update on the IANA oversight transition process

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Mon Sep 29 13:16:43 UTC 2014

We will Present and discuss the outcome of the online discussion on IANA
Function transition oversight during AFRINIC-21 on 22-28 November 2014 in
Mauritius. NRO will present the outcomes of the discussions by the 5 RIRs
to the ICG by 31st December 2014.

So far, this is the input from the AFRINIC community.

1. Adiel: AFRINIC and other RIRs are reviewing their accountability
framework. The outcome of a cross RIR survey is available here:
https://www.nro.net/about-the-nro/rir-governance-matrix
The community should propose improvement to the governance matrix.

2. Seun: IANA oversight role can be done by IETF and not necessarily a new
body
Robert Gaetano:  The IETF is not necessarily the most sensible body for DNS
business interests, this plan will be severely undermined [especially by
GNSO].

3. Richard Hill: It would appear desirable that the IANA functions should
be contracted for by the served communities, that is, by the NRO/RIRs for
what concerns IP addresses.
It is appropriate to ... [modify the a Memorandum of Understanding] ...
(which appears to be a contract) between the NRO and ICANN for the IP
addresses.  [Similar to the Memorandum of Understanding between ICANN and
IETF
https://www.icann.org/resources/unthemed-pages/ietf-icann-mou-2000-03-01-e].
Article I.1 of the ICANN Bylaws should be modified to make it clear that it
is the NRO that has the overall responsibility for the coordination and
allocation and assignment of IP addresses.  That change is needed because,
at present, article I.1 of the ICANN Bylaws implies that ICANN has the
overall responsibility for the coordination and allocation and assignment
of IP addresses

NB.
This is the timelines we have to work with in the IANA oversight transition
process
22-28 November 2014: AFRINIC-21, Mauritius; community consultations
January 2015: Compilation of global RIR discussions published to the global
Internet community and call for comments issued.
8-12 February 2015: ICANN 52, Africa region.
24 May - 5 June 2015: AFRINIC-22/AIS'15
21-25 June 2015: ICANN 53
30 September 2015: NTIA-ICANN contract expires.

Other RIR's IANA oversight page is available at:
https://www.nro.net/nro-and-internet-governance/iana-oversight.
AFRINIC's IANA oversight page is available at:
http://afrinic.net/en/community/iana-oversight-transition

Sincerely,