[IANAOversight] LACNIC's Multistakeholder Oversight Numbers Council - MONC

Adiel Akplogan adiel at afrinic.net
Mon Nov 3 10:58:57 UTC 2014

Hello Seun,

On Nov 3, 2014, at 14:09 PM, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for sharing this Adiel,
>
> Just to mention here that I also made a few comments about this proposal on lacnic list:
> http://lists.arin.net/pipermail/iana-transition/2014-October/000064.html

Bringing your comment on the ARIN list back home for discussion here.

On Oct 29, 2014, at 23:55 PM, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 6:36 PM, Richard Hill<rhill at hill-a.ch> wrote:
> NTIA awards the IANA contract, that is, it decides who performs the IANA function, and how.

The "how" is important here. Beside awarding the contract, they also ensure that IANA function is performed inline with global policies defined by the RIR community (as the agreed GPDP), assess the quality of the service performed and could be able to handle dispute between IACANN performing the IANA function and other parties (i.e the RIRs individually or collectively for instance - it has never happened so far … but)

> Presumably the MONC would do that (for the IP address part of the IANA function) instead of NTIA.

Yes that is my understanding of the proposal.

> Thanks for echoing that fact. We then need to determine whether its worth forming a council that will only be awarding a periodic contract. IMO if this community decide that a contracting regime is what is desired[1] then that role can be given to the NRO while the composition of NRO-EC is reviewed.

That is maybe where further discussion is needed to understand the details of this proposal.

If I read the out come of the questions that was asked to ARIN community, the Q3 seems to go into a similar direction (without the details). So this may need careful attention and refinement.

thanks.

- a.

> On October 29, 2014 6:30:17 PM CET, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe it's helpful to know what oversight activities is performed by NTIA at it relates to numbers(if any). That would perhaps help understand the scope of work of the MONC. Then the other question of what will the role of NRO look like and what's the formation of the MONC going to look like.
>
> Cheers!
>
> sent from Google nexus 4
> kindly excuse brevity and typos.
>
> On 29 Oct 2014 16:40, "Andrew Dul" <andrew.dul at quark.net> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am currently at the LACNIC meeting and we just had the discussion of ideas & proposals surrounding the IANA transition.  A new set of ideas has been presented here for discussion in this region.  The idea of a new oversight board (MONC) to perform the NTIA oversight function.
>
> I bring it up here so that you can be aware of it and so that we can discuss the idea in our region as well.
>
> Below are links to the slides and agenda which are in spanish.
>
> A few personal notes from the presentation and the discussion.
>
> Proposal for a Multistakeholder Oversight Numbers Council (MONC)
>
> Permanent body that would support the NRO, would meet once per year to supervise the development & oversight of IANA functions, similar to the sitting fiscal committee of lacnic.
>
> It was suggested that oversight role should be done by this body for the numbers portion of the IANA functions.  Members of the Council would have to be selected or appointed to fulfill this role.  How that would happen is not part of this initial idea draft.
>
> One thing that was noted here is that this is a new idea and that it should be given time for discussion to see if it has merits.  There aren't a lot of details on the structure here at this time, but they should come with time.
>
> Andrew
>

> http://www.lacnic.net/en/web/eventos/lacnic22-agenda-detallada
>
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/content_link/HBIR5OaMLUQIPZlmgHtCeLpQG4WO9cUjB83vUDPqMtNPuhGbNSNlJ2aVvUpiNdQM?dl=1

<Snip>