[DBWG] Failover Test Maintenance for RDAP Service - Monday 8th

Manhal manhal.mohammed at afrinic.net
Mon Apr 8 10:25:05 UTC 2024

Dear Colleagues,

We are pleased to announce that the recent failover maintenance test was a success! Access to  our RDAP systems seamlessly transitioned between different sites without any service interruption, even while running at half capacity with only two out of four nodes active during the test.

This comprehensive test focused on evaluating the availability and reachability of our RDAP service and we are now confident that a major outage on any of our primary sites will not affect the availability of the RDAP for our members, and the community.

Thanks for your patience and support.

Regards,
The Infrastructure & Security department.

PS: for techies, a bit more details: the aim of this exercise was to test the transitioning between various sites, including switching from DNS round-robin routing to the JNB Isando site (ISO) load balancer, then from ISO to the JNB Parklands site (PKL), PKL to the Mauritius Telecom site (MRU), and finally returning to our primary site, ISO. This was successful, and you will find below the average response times from different places worldwide, as monitored by Site24x7 for services accessed through each site:

MRU site: 1303.888889 milliseconds
PKL site: 1205.294118 milliseconds
ISO site: 1238.722222 milliseconds