[DBWG] All AFRINIC-administered IP space

Sylvain Baya abscoco at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 18:06:13 UTC 2021

Dear DBWG,

Le dimanche 25 juillet 2021, Nishal Goburdhan <nishal at controlfreak.co.za> a
écrit :

> On 25 Jul 2021, at 17:54, Sylvain Baya wrote:

> Maybe i failed to state it clearly...i add my support

>> for a request from the DBWG to the AfriNIC's Staff,

>> so that they could handle a formal cleanup request

>> directed to RADb in order to remove all IRR's

>> objects (including route: and route6:) incorrectly

>> created in their Database; whereas those objects

>> are attached to AfriNIC's delegated INRs pools.

> i feel obliged to point out that this won’t actually return the result

> that you think it will.

Brother,
Thanks for your email :-)

> the afrinic team has *no* way of creating a verifiable index of what is

> correct; at least not from their members’ perspectives. they also have no

> way of knowing what is intended to be correct (ie. what the member is

> planning for tomorrow/next week/month/..).

...interesting!
i think, i get your point, you seem to show us a drawback of our
expectations? me the first ;-)

...then, i could agree that anyone has the right to
put what he want into an open IRR database, even
if s/he also attach its bogon objects to, specifically,
AfriNIC's delegated INR pools?

The reason i catched is that, it's impossible to know if it's an
anticipation, on a planed actions... :-/

...please correct me, i want to better understand!

> that’s simply isn’t how routing registries works. and i’ll pre-empt the

> inevitable: “all afrinic space should be in the afrinic IRR” because if

> anyone is thinking that, then you’re just plain wrong.

Thanks you! so, if i got it well, it's about the freedom
to plan a real deployment or something like that?

> the afrinic team can request that eg. the RADB remove entries for bogon

> space (ie. unallocated space) that is tied to afrinic’s IANA-allocated

> space. that’s easy to justify; the space hasn’t been allocated. period.

> but once space is allocated, the afrinic team can *not* with any degree of

> certainty, predict what the origin-as is, or will that will be in the

> future. and i don’t want them to try!

...ok, perfect! so the consensus remains :-)

That is were all the others agreed, i added my ignorance...and good! sure,
you are trying to help
me to learn "one time for all". Thanks.

> one of the longer term working items that we are led to believe is coming

> in myafrinic v2.x is a dashboard for members to see what IRR objects tie to

> their allocated space. i’m actually fine with waiting for the afrinic team

> to deliver that to members, since, a member will (should?) know what the

> intended origin-as is (and is intended to be), and can choose to act as

> appropriate, or not. and i know i (at least) have suggested ways to the

> afrinic team on how they can incentivise members to keep this sort of

> information accurate (ie. dashboard = green).

...good! we had that discussion this morning within
a room of the cmNOG's community.

> ...yes, it's more than what you asked...that's how

>> things work...then the DBWG has to agree or not :-)

> *my* interest - and, the way that i read the OP’s request was a simple:

> “please publish the authoritative set of all your address space.” i think

> that’s easy enough to do, and won’t cost the afrinic team too much in

> development cycles.

...yes! The first separated request...i've already supported it, i think,
even if, you know, i proved that the information was already available
somewhere
...hey! also, i have proposed another strange idea [1]

:'-(

> i think i counted frank’s personal +1 to that request. still, i would

> hardly call that consensus, but let’s hope that the afrinic team see that

> this is an entirely common-sense request, and needn’t wait for the entire

> working group to vote on this. :-)

...see above, i support it too.

> but i don’t see a call to have afrinic act as the police for the RADB.

> that’s both outside the mandate of *this* working group, and, frankly, an

> investment of afrinic’s time that doesn’t offer a high ROI.

...then, you should confirm that you agree for route: objects attached to
bogons from obviously AfriNIC's
delegated IPv4 *free (available)* pool ;-)

> i’m all for getting the afrinic team to deliver on services that add value

> to their membership; what you’re asking for, however, is not one of

> those.

Ok! brother, what i asked is fare to what the ongoing
consensus seems to be built upon. Please, i
restate that i agree to focus above mentioned
bogons route: objects...and, if i'm not front, you
also agreed! but, feel free to correct me, brother :'-(

...if i'm not wrong, the said ongoing consensus
remains. Again, please, feel free to confirm it!

> instead, i read the outcome of this thread as:

> #1 - publish the set of afrinic’s address space

> #2 - run periodic consistency checks against afrinic’s space, to identify

> if there are any objects that reference bogons (because, if you don’t, then

> RFG is just going to do it anyway! :-))

...i would support both, thanks.

> #3 - remove bogons from your IRR, and institute a periodic process to

> request others clean their’s

This one should be splitted in two part, according
to what RFG has said twice :

~°~
•1] Inside the AfriNIC's IRR database (nothing to do!)
•2] From the RADb's IRR database (ongoing consensus!)
~°~

Thanks once more, brother!

Shalom,
--sb.

> hth,

> -n.

> [...]

Best Regards !
__
baya.sylvain[AT cmNOG DOT cm]|<https://cmnog.cm/dokuwiki/Structure>
__
#‎LASAINTEBIBLE‬|#‎Romains15‬:33«Que LE ‪#‎DIEU‬ de ‪#‎Paix‬ soit avec vous
tous! ‪#‎Amen‬!»
‪#‎MaPrière‬ est que tu naisses de nouveau. #Chrétiennement‬
«Comme une biche soupire après des courants d’eau, ainsi mon âme soupire
après TOI, ô DIEU!»(#Psaumes42:2)