[DBWG] Order of DBM objects within whois.afrinic.net IRR DB

Frank Habicht geier at geier.ne.tz
Thu Jan 2 06:03:08 UTC 2020

Hi,

sorry, for the long silence from my side.

<no-hat>
The current situation with auto-reordering appears to be
- not in line with other IRRs
- hence unexpected by some or many or most users (non-intuitive)

It limits the options to create objects as desired.
If we'd stop the auto-reordering, and a user wishes to have sorted
objects, they can do the sorting themselves.
</no-hat>

Thanks to Patrick for bringing this up.
Thanks to AfriNIC staff for confirming that this an easy change.

I trust we've agreed that the change should go ahead.
I believe we don't need to keep the auto-reordering available as an option.

Since this changes default-behaviour, Nishal is making a valid point
(see below) about informing and warning users about this change.

I will work with Staff to email an announcement of the change to the
members list [correct list, right?]
- approx 1 weeks before change, and
- after change is done

And we should
- update the manual [1]
(https://afrinic.net/support/whois/reference-manual)
which - i noticed now - seems to need a lot of love
- add a FAQ entry (https://afrinic.net/support/whois/whois-faq)

Hope this is ok,
please let me have your inputs.

Thanks,
Frank
as chair

[1] actually, "2.2.1 Object processing" and 2.2.2 and 2.2.3 seem to
imply that the auto-reordering is not done....
Yes, the links to html anchors from the ToC on top of the page are not
working.... :-(