[DBWG] can't create ROA with ASN0 - myafrinic

Nishal Goburdhan nishal at controlfreak.co.za
Mon Jun 10 14:23:01 UTC 2019

On 10 Jun 2019, at 16:16, Frank Habicht wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In MyAfriNIC, I can't create ROA with ASN0 - for my IXP peering LAN
> prefixes (196.223.5.0/24 and 2001:43f8::/48)
>
> "The AS Number you have specified is a reserved one!"
>
> shouldn't be like this, or?
> It's not really that much reserved to be excluded from ROA creation.
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6483#section-4

technically AS0 is reserved, and the note on my.afrinic says:
“ASN must be between 0 - 4294967295 in ASPLAIN format. "Reserved" and
"Unallocated" ASNs will be rejected.”
reading that, “0” would be disallowed, although that would be
contrary to the recommendation of the RFC.

i agree, that this is likely oversight with afrinic’s ROA generation
utilities, and, i support your request to have this limitation removed.

did you log a ticket with afrinic to track this?

—n.