[DBWG] Order of DBM objects within whois.afrinic.net IRR DB

Patrick Holahan patrickh at tenet.ac.za
Tue Dec 17 14:45:44 UTC 2019

Hi DB WG folk,

I was advised to forward the below email through here along with an explanation as to why I wish it to work this way.

I think the email is pretty self-explanatory, advising that the order of the RIPE DB shows remarks in the order they were added to the object, rather than moving them and grouping them together. This allows you to understand what remark links with what part of the object.

If anything is unclear please advise or query me directly

<snip>

I’ve created an as-set object for AS-TERTIARY, however your display orders by field rather than order of object entry creation, so our remarks aren’t showing up in the order we are used to from the RIPE db.

The object was created with the order member / remark rather than as member / member / member / etc, then remark / remark / remark.

Is this something that can be looked at, or preferably even solved with a simple flag in the CLI query?

How we expect it to look as per RIPE:

$ whois -h whois.ripe.net AS-TERTIARY

% This is the RIPE Database query service.

% The objects are in RPSL format.

%

% The RIPE Database is subject to Terms and Conditions.

% See http://www.ripe.net/db/support/db-terms-conditions.pdf

% Note: this output has been filtered.

% To receive output for a database update, use the "-B" flag.

% Information related to 'AS-TERTIARY'

as-set: AS-TERTIARY

descr: Tertiary Education and Research Network of South Africa

tech-c: PH5204-RIPE

admin-c: PH5204-RIPE

mnt-by: TNET-MNT01

created: 2012-06-26T13:21:35Z

last-modified: 2015-11-16T06:50:17Z

source: RIPE # Filtered

members: AS2018

remarks: TENET Primary

members: AS36944

remarks: Ubuntunet Alliance

members: AS36982

remarks: University of Cape Town

members: AS8094

remarks: North West University

members: AS1228

members: AS1229

members: AS1230

members: AS1231

members: AS1232

remarks: TENET ASN Block

members: AS36914

remarks: KENET ASN

members: AS20144

remarks: L-ROOT Server Instance

members: AS19232

remarks: Monash University South Africa

members: AS37182

remarks: TERNET Tanzania

members: AS37197

remarks: SUIN Network

members: AS37520

remarks: Rhodes University

members: AS37532

remarks: ZAMREN

members: AS37501

remarks: University of the Free State

members: AS327687

remarks: RENU - Ugandan Research and Education Network

members: AS37496

remarks: Aga Khan University

members: AS37085

remarks: The Open University of Tanzania

How it looks in AFRINIC:

$ whois -h whois.afrinic.net AS-TERTIARY

% This is the AfriNIC Whois server.

[...]

tech-c: FG12-AFRINIC

tech-c: PH7-AFRINIC

tech-c: CM63-AFRINIC

tech-c: KH20-AFRINIC

tech-c: SW13-AFRINIC

tech-c: PS28-AFRINIC

admin-c: DGR14-AFRINIC

admin-c: LL5-AFRINIC

admin-c: RJ1-AFRINIC

mnt-by: TNET-MNT01

mnt-by: TNET-MNT01

source: AFRINIC # Filtered

</snip>

Thanks in advance

-- Patrick Holahan
Senior Network EngineerTertiary Education & Research Network of South Africa NPC
Fault Reporting: +27(21)763-7147 or support at tenet.ac.za
Mobile: +27(79)523-5555
http://www.tenet.ac.za/contact