[DBWG] route-object auto-created from a ROA

Nishal Goburdhan nishal at controlfreak.co.za
Wed Oct 17 12:50:34 UTC 2018

> Avinash wrote:

hi,
sorry for the out of thread reply;  i just realised i wasn’t sub’d
to this list :-/

> Thanks for the encouraging words.
> To answer your question, we need to be sufficiently confident that
> such
> a tool will be useful and actually used by members.

i am an afrinic member.  i asked for this feature.  so i will use it.
and i will add this to the training workshops that i teach.  so i
imagine those students will use it too.  and i am sure that frank
implied that he would use it.  edd too.  both of whom are afrinic
members.

let’s take a step back for a second.  this history to this request, is
that i want you (afrinic) to make it easier to interact with your IRRDB.
  regardless of what you think now, a large percentage of your
membership feel the IRR is “not easy to use”.  yes, some of those
people have no problem using the front-end of your RPKI engine.  i’ve
been asking you to fix your IRRDB interface for a while now, but the
last response i received, at the recent SAFNOG event was :  “we can
not commit to a date”.  (it’s in the video archive if you care to
look it up ..)

given that you have something that’s relatively easy to use  (the RPKI
front-end).
given that you have rules that govern the data that goes into your RPKI
system that keep this “clean”.
given that people that care enough about routing security will likely
have ROAs  *and* IRRDB objects.
given that this seems like an unnecessary duplication ..
i think it’s a safe bet that, if the system is in place, and easy to
use, people (your members) will use it.

> As for the implementation, I think we can make it quite simple.

when i asked about creating objects using my.afrinic i was given the
proverbial run-around.  :-)
so, i am super-happy to see that the people that will be responsible for
the work, think this is “quite simple”  :-)

(and, btw, you’ll also need to allow, *at least* as-sets)

> Create and Delete, as required, only route & route(6) objects via
> MyAFRINIC. If
> someone does not wish to issue ROAs, she may still use the current
> method to create her route objects.
>
> However, if she wishes to issue ROAs, then when submitting the ROA
> form
> on MyAFRINIC, we can lookup the existing route objects and if there
> are
> some missing, ask if these need to be created. For that we will need
> have another form to capture and validate input for the other
> attributes
> of the route object.
>
> Similarly, when someone wishes to revoke her ROA, we may lookup the
> route objects and delete them if she so wishes.
>
> In this scenario, we do not really have to worry about route objects
> being modified, since only the attributes "route" & "origin" are
> common
> to a ROA.

i think that what’s important is that you design so that there is as
little pollution as possible, and it’s made as easy as possible.
you’ve laid out a simple enough framework;  if you’d like us to
comment more on it, i am sure people here will be happy to, but i think
it would be more constructive if you have the discussion internally, and
perhaps present here your workflow?

> However, in the event that a route object is deleted directly on the
> WHOIS, the ROA cannot be automatically revoked.

yes.

there’s also no reason you can’t incorporate a check to see if ROA
matches or equals IRRDB object equals BGP announcement, and signal that
to your member, *along* with a  what/how to fix.   (obligatory hat tip
to irrexplorer!)

so now to echo the rest in the thread;  how soon can you have this done?
  ;-)   of course, you can have different bits of this done in different
stages too  (ie. ver1, ver2, ..) and i’m sure that will assuage
members’ feelings towards these important activities ..

—n.