[DBWG] route-object auto-created from a ROA

Amreesh Phokeer amreesh at afrinic.net
Wed Oct 10 06:33:17 UTC 2018

Hi Avinash,

Thanks for starting this discussion. We had an internal discussion about which way (IRR->ROAs or ROAs -> IRR) would be best.

IMO, creating route objects from the current MyAFRINIC ROA interface doesn’t seem to be practical, as a ROA can contain several prefixes (v4 and/or v6) + max length. We can have a section on MyAFRINIC where the user can manage all IRR objects related to the resources the member holds. During creation of a route(6) object, if the member’s RPKI engine is activated, an option to create a ROA appears, the user ticks the “Create ROA” checkbox and both route objects and the ROAs are generated. Similarly, when a route object is deleted, the equivalent ROA is revoked.

Caveats to be dealt with:
- ROAs have additional information such as start and end dates and max length, route objects have prefix-length only.
- ROAs cannot be modified, they can only be revoked
- Route objects do not have max-length i.e. the max-length in the ROA should be set equal to the prefix-length to match the route object

Thoughts?

--
Amreesh