[DBWG] route-object auto-created from a ROA

Sander Steffann sander at steffann.nl
Fri Nov 23 09:30:03 UTC 2018

Hi Ben,

> Apologies for being late to this conversation.
>
> I have no general objection to the idea generating route[6] objects from ROAs *in general*, but there are operational consequences that need thinking about.
> There seem to be two models under discussion here:
> 1) A tighly coupled method where a route[6] object is auto generated at the same time that a ROA is created, and can't be modified/deleted other than by revocation of the associated ROA; or
> 2) A loosely coupled method where the UI hints the user that they may want to create equivalent route[6] objects when creating ROAs if "matching" objects can't be located.
>
> Option 2 sounds to me like a good way to increase the cruft present in the database, and I'm against that option. So I'll focus on option 1:

There is another option: add extra business logic that rejects creation or modification of route objects that contradict ROAs. And when a new ROA is created warn the user when there are conflicting route objects and let them either delete the route objects or change the ROA so the route objects aren't invalid anymore.

That way we don't have to mess with the auth scheme of the database while still maintaining consistency between the ROAs and the DB.

Cheers,
Sander