[DBWG] Abuse contacts in the WHOIS

Amreesh Phokeer amreesh at afrinic.net
Sat Nov 19 11:00:11 UTC 2016

Hi Michel,

As you know, AFRINIC has an abuse contact policy [1], which is unfortunately not serving its purpose.
The blog post/article [2] on spam tried to highlight this loophole, the policy is implemented but is **optional**.
Table 3. shows that only 16 objects (mostly AFRINIC-owned objects) has an "mnt-irt” attribute.

Maybe the community should make it mandatory, as APNIC did:

ITE-APL:~ Amreesh$ whois -hwhois.apnic.net <http://hwhois.apnic.net/> -t inetnum
% [whois.apnic.net <http://whois.apnic.net/>]
% Whois data copyright terms    http://www.apnic.net/db/dbcopyright.html <http://www.apnic.net/db/dbcopyright.html>

inetnum:        [mandatory]  [single]     [primary/lookup key]
netname:        [mandatory]  [single]     [lookup key]
descr:          [mandatory]  [multiple]   [ ]
country:        [mandatory]  [multiple]   [ ]
geoloc:         [optional]   [single]     [ ]
language:       [optional]   [multiple]   [ ]
org:            [optional]   [single]     [inverse key]
admin-c:        [mandatory]  [multiple]   [inverse key]
tech-c:         [mandatory]  [multiple]   [inverse key]
status:         [mandatory]  [single]     [ ]
remarks:        [optional]   [multiple]   [ ]
notify:         [optional]   [multiple]   [inverse key]
mnt-by:         [mandatory]  [multiple]   [inverse key]
mnt-lower:      [optional]   [multiple]   [inverse key]
mnt-routes:     [optional]   [multiple]   [inverse key]
mnt-irt:        [mandatory]  [multiple]   [inverse key]   <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
changed:        [mandatory]  [multiple]   [ ]
source:         [mandatory]  [single]     [ ]

[1] http://afrinic.net/en/library/policies/current/698-abuse-contact-information-in-the-afrinic-service-region] <http://afrinic.net/en/library/policies/current/698-abuse-contact-information-in-the-afrinic-service-region%5D>
[2] https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Amreesh_Phokeer/publication/303642445_A_Survey_of_Anti-Spam_Mechanisms_and_Their_Usage_from_a_Regional_Internet_Registry's_Perspective/links/574b18ed08ae5bf2e63f33a6.pdf <https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Amreesh_Phokeer/publication/303642445_A_Survey_of_Anti-Spam_Mechanisms_and_Their_Usage_from_a_Regional_Internet_Registry's_Perspective/links/574b18ed08ae5bf2e63f33a6.pdf>

Regards,
Amreesh