[DBWG] WHOIS filtering and the "-B" option

Keessun Fokeerah keessun.fokeerah at afrinic.net
Fri Nov 18 10:17:10 UTC 2016

Hello,

Someone who does not know how to use the whois and does a query for an
IP resource will be told how to get the full output without any "filtered":

whois -h whois.afrinic.net AS30999
% This is the AfriNIC Whois server.

% Note: this output has been filtered.
%       To receive output for a database update, use the "-B" flag.

The AFRINIC WHOIS will actually tell you to use "-B" flag, when you did
not do so!

In fact, by using "egrep -v '^%|^$" some people are actually ignoring
this useful tip/output. Or we simply ignore the first few lines of the
output!

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Keessun