[Community-Discuss] Announcement of Final Candidate Slate for AFRINIC Board Elections

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed May 11 17:32:45 UTC 2022

Yet further evidence of the power grab by the AFRINIC board.

The nominating committee is supposed to serve to recruit qualified candidates to give the membership choices in the election of directors.

In this case, instead, they have become a selection committee of the board designed to prevent the election of candidates who disagree with current board policies and politics.

Perfectly qualified candidates have been rejected almost certainly on the sole basis that they do not support the current boards misdeeds.

Especially in the case of seat 1 where this is so blatant that they have chosen to proxy-appoint a board member instead of running a legitimate election.

I implore AFRINIC members to recognize this for what it is. At this point, it has literally risen to the level of election fraud.

I encourage those that do to call for a special members meeting at which an amendment to the bylaws can be made to:
	+ require the nominating committee to present a slate of at least N+2 candidates for each office, to
	+ require the nominating committee to provide a detailed set of reasons to each disqualified candidate.
	+ require the nominating committee to publish that set of reasons if the candidate consents or requests that it do so.

Further changes that I think are necessary but not part of this immediate election concern:
	+ Require the governance committee to be comprised of a combination of board appointees and elected members
	+ Set a term of office for governance committee members and prevent the removal of GC members absent a vote
		of the general membership. To function properly, the GC must be an independent body free to provide oversight
		against board misconduct.
	+ Clarify that the process by which the staggered terms in the board shall be maintained in the event of vacancies
		prior to end of term shall be as follows:
			Board may appoint until the next election.
			At the next election, the elected candidate receives the remaining term until the seat would routinely
				be up for re-election.

Since this is a somewhat urgent reaction to this announcement, I haven’t had time to fully flesh out language implementing the
above recommendations for amendment to the bylaws, but I will endeavor to do so in the coming days and post them here.

Owen