[Community-Discuss] ATTENDANCE & PARTICIPATION AT THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEMBERS’ MEETING (AGMM)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Jun 7 22:16:35 UTC 2022

> On Jun 7, 2022, at 13:07 , Sylvain Baya <abscoco at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear AfriNIC's Community,
>
> Hope this email finds you in good health!
> Please my comments below, inline...
>
> Le mardi 7 juin 2022, Owen DeLong via Community-Discuss <community-discuss at afrinic.net <mailto:community-discuss at afrinic.net>> a écrit :
>

>> On Jun 2, 2022, at 23:20 , Ish Sookun <ish.sookun at lasentinelle.mu <mailto:ish.sookun at lasentinelle.mu>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Owen,
>>
>>> On 2 Jun 2022, at 20:16, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com <mailto:owen at delong.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> It would be legitimate to insist that only one of those members of the “representative team” do the speaking and voting on behalf of the entire representative team, but limiting the online presence only to one representative per organization is unreasonable.
>>>

>> I will not support that only one person from the “representative team” to do the speaking. Technical, legal and financials are three distinct subjects and I do not find it exaggerated if an organisation would like to have a three-member representative to speak on these subjects individually during the AGMM.
>
> If you have a group representative, it should speak with one voice. They may discuss amongst themselves what that one voice will say, but there should be a designated spokesman.
>

> Thanks for your email, Owen,
>
> Brother, imho, for that to become a right for each
> AfriNIC's Resource Member (RM), you may need  first to follow the available steps to request an
> amendment to the current version of the AfriNIC's
> Bylaws.

No, I think that is a valid interpretation of the current bylaws as they exist.

> Anything else is an opportunity for either chaos or overrepresentation.
>

> A chaos, due to what please?

If you have a team representative, and they are all allowed to speak as said representative, you either get overrepresented by having multiple voices or you get chaos because it becomes difficult for the body at large to determine which of the voices actually represents the organization at any particular moment in time.