[Community-Discuss] ID verification on the Database Working Group mailing list

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Mon Jan 24 14:18:43 UTC 2022

Let me be clear - the affiliation to me is actually neither hear nor there other than on the members list - where I believe that affiliation is absolutely critical.

The members list however is limited to members and anyone posting on there should be a member and should be speaking as such.

To be frank though as per my previous comments - what should matter on the lists is the content of the message not the identity of the sender.  The RIRs and the ietf etc - and anywhere that engages in the concept of consensus based decision making is meant to look at the content of the messages.

A single objection that is unaddressed (not necessarily resolved - but it has to be adequately addressed) is meant to act as a blocker.  Support by a million people is not a gauge of consensus - nor is the affiliation of the person indicating such.

For some reason though we all seem to have forgotten the principles of consensus as best defined in rfc 7282 which can be found at https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc7282

This has for years been the basis on which technical consensus is defined.

Andrew