[Community-Discuss] Lu Heng + Larus and the Number Resource Society

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Sep 28 03:51:17 UTC 2021

> On Sep 27, 2021, at 05:28 , AFRINIC Communication <comms at afrinic.net> wrote:
>
> Dear community members,
>
> AFRINIC has  taken note of a post together with a corresponding attachment that contains inaccuracies and presented out of context on this thread (https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/community-discuss/2021-September/004862.html) and was aimed at causing damage and prejudice to AFRINIC as Regional Internet Registry for the African region.

Yes, but the attachment wasn’t posted to the mailing list by its original sender, it was posted by someone complaining about the mailing having been received in a completely different context.

> AFRINIC wishes to inform its community that the information contained in the said attachment are presently the subject of several ongoing cases involving AFRINIC and Cloud Innovation Ltd as well as an ongoing police investigation in respect of a matter reported for misappropriation of IP number resources. AFRINIC will not comment thereon but reserves its rights to apply its Code of Conduct against all persons making use of its mailing lists for the purposes of causing damage and harm to AFRINIC and to take such action as it may be advised.

So you’re going to go after the person who posted the attachment in order to complain about it? That seems unreasonable, even by AFRINIC standards.

Personally, I don’t think the attachment was inaccurate or out of context, but I agree that it asks questions that are likely uncomfortable for AFRINIC at this time.

As near as I can tell, it’s an attempt to recruit members to the NRS. I don’t see anything in there that actually harms or attempts to harm AFRINIC.

Nonetheless, it wasn’t posted to the list by its supporters, it was posted by someone complaining about it. As such, the only poster of said attachment that you can apply the CoC to is the one complaining about it.

I suppose that is how AFRINIC treats its community members these days.