[Community-Discuss] Upcoming Abuse Desk Training

Daniel Shaw daniel at techdad.xyz
Tue May 11 20:20:38 UTC 2021

I am not aware of "documentation" as such (in the sense I understand
documentation in English) or a *definitive* source. This is something
I have picked up from various articles, blogs and podcasts over
time...

It makes sense though, right....

To some degree a URL under a descriptive domain give an indication as
to what I expect to load. I am sure you can argue that, but in general
zoom.com/1234 (or meet.mixp or whatever) is familiar and has some
degree of trust already. Usually a subdomain matching the sender or a
well know brand helps.

There are also checks that could be done on the domain prior to
clicking through, should I choose to do so, if its not known/familiar.

However, http:// alturl (dot) com/ 2r5u3 could literally forward to
*anywhere*. I have no way to know. Clicking that is therefore
dangerous.

In any case, while I did not have a specific reference in mind, as to
me this is a known thing in infosec, a quick google search turns up
many hits.

https://www.helpnetsecurity.com/2018/05/23/url-shortener-cryptojacking
https://thenextweb.com/news/using-url-shorteners-expose-privacy-invasions-malware-attacks
https://cofense.com/url-shorteners-fraudsters-friend/
https://safecomputing.umich.edu/be-aware/phishing-and-suspicious-email/shortened-url-security
https://blog.malwarebytes.com/threat-analysis/2016/01/when-url-shorteners-and-ransomware-collide/

Thats just from the first page of the first google search I tried.

Of course, while shortened URLs are in general dangerous to most
non-tech Internet users, they can be checked if you have a terminal
with curl handy:

```
❯ curl -o /dev/null -s -v http://alturl.com/2r5u3 2>&1 |grep 'Location:'
< Location: https://gouv-bj.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJIqfuyppzwrGNWB6OD779-Thqu0ej0iJJEW
```

The result is really not that long that it would have been an issue to
paste into an email as is.... so why shorten it and obscure it?