[Community-Discuss] Fwd: [members-discuss] Unsolicited Requests

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Tue Jun 1 06:03:29 UTC 2021

In message <CAEqgTWYex0UYARb_mW9LPZ=Xe5ge2vp4UDUVk8BGbiN45z8qVA at mail.gmail.com>
Noah <noah at neo.co.tz> wrote:

>> All I see is that there is one guy who is claiming, without

>> evidence, that he was offered money... he doesn't even say

>> how much...

>Ping him directly FYI.

OK, so someone has been kind enough to point me at these three specific
links which are screenshots, apparently from some phone:

https://afnog.org/pipermail/afnog/attachments/20210528/243a6777/attachment-0003.jpg
https://afnog.org/pipermail/afnog/attachments/20210528/243a6777/attachment-0004.jpg
https://afnog.org/pipermail/afnog/attachments/20210528/243a6777/attachment-0005.jpg

This is at least helpful for those of us trying to get some context on
the present controversy.

What I still don't see here is either (a) any offer of money for votes
or even (b) any obvious "spamming" as I would define that term.

These look like personalized messages... NOT machine generated messages.

If that's accurate, then these messages do not qualify as "spam" per se.
They may be rude. They may be unsolicited. They may be unwanted by the
recipients, but none of those factors in isolation make the messages
"spam".

Spam is largely or entirely duplicative, and essentially always machine
generated.

Regards,
rfg