[Community-Discuss] [members-discuss] Update on legal case

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Thu Jul 29 05:37:19 UTC 2021

Hi Ronald,

I disagree. At a minimum they were against the equivalent to the GDPR in Mauritius, as they used information collected from whois, mail exploders, etc., for a different purpose that the one agreed.

I can publish my email and phone in any public mailing list (or whois), but you need my explicit and previous consent for using it for different purposes. Many similar cases have been fined by the DPAs.

Also, it is against the usage terms of the whois and CoC.

Regards,
Jordi
@jordipalet

El 29/7/21 0:43, "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg at tristatelogic.com> escribió:

In message <CAEqgTWa2a5_ykmau8Y1O0X2PGpTJAyXQmoB3JTesVCHj=iS0Fw at mail.gmail.com>,
Noah <noah at neo.co.tz> wrote:

>In the last board elections where Elkins defeated Paul Wolner, there were
>multiple resource members who received phone calls from HongKong asking
>them to vote for Wolner.

In my view, these allegations were never proven, and even if they
were, so what? Unless such "electioneering" is performed in a mostly
automated fashion... in which case they might well be considered to
be spammish... there's nothing illegal, immoral, or even unethical
about making calls and asking people to vote for one's preferred
candidates for some elected office. (And indeed, we here in the U.S.
are routinely inundated with such calls on a daily basis, starting
generally about two months before each local or national election.)

Regards,
rfg