[Community-Discuss] Notice of imminent reclamation of number resources

Wijdane Goubi goubi.wijdane at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 16:04:05 UTC 2021

Hello,

I agree with what was mentioned above and I believe that asking such
inquiries does neither violate not infringes on the board's privacy, and
that we deserve to be given such information, particularly if it is about
canceling a membership.
We also have the full right to inquire about how that decision was made,
and that it is not a private matter if it was agreed upon years ago that it
should be made public, and also because it impacts a large number of users.

Regards,
Wijdane

Le ven. 9 juil. 2021 à 14:36, Mimi dy <dym5328 at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hello all,

> I share the same view as Owen and Anthony. I really fail to understand why

> a "member-based organization" like AFRINIC is rejecting "community members'

> " request for some information which is originally supposed to be disclosed

> to all stakeholders. All I see here is a clear abandonment of AFRINIC's

> core principles: OPENNESS, TRANSPARENCY, FAIRNESS. Nothing is fair and

> transparent about the way AFRINIC tackles the community's concerns/requests.

> I feel like we should not even be having this whole discussion. From my

> understanding, an RIR exists because of the community, how is it now

> imposing insensitive rules, compromising the foundation of the Global

> Internet, and concealing info that is bound to be at the disposal of the

> community under any circumstances?

> First, Paul's queries remain unaddressed, then, normal requests are being

> rejected due to ambiguous privacy and disclosure reasons. We urge AFRINIC's

> staff for clarifications on these matters.

> Best regards.

> Le ven. 9 juil. 2021 à 12:53, Anthony Ubah <ubah.tonyiyke at gmail.com> a

> écrit :

>> +1 @Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com>

>> Apt.

>> I really find it difficult to understand why a call for some measure of

>> transparency is an issue here.

>> For an organization built on the foundation of "Trust" and "Transparency"

>> an inquiry like this should be responded to with smooth and prompt

>> Query on privacy clearly goes against the very principles of that very

>> foundation.

>> @Mike Silber <silber.mike at gmail.com>

>> It's really not out of place for people to stand at opposite ends of the

>> table view-wise, in oppinon or in ideology, and stay consistently so. It

>> shouldn't baffle anyone, it is human nature.

>> There isn't a rule of thumb that says that an issue must remain on the

>> top burner until it strikes a chord, as is natural. Anything can trigger a

>> spike. It is within the purview of every single member of the community to

>> call make inquiries or to call the Board/members' inadequacies or " the

>> quality of board minutes and voting records" into question at any time they

>> feel the itch to do so, not necessarily at specific scheduled windows. In

>> this case, Paul's inquiry into this is his spike, and he reserves the right

>> to do so.

>> *Best Regards,*

>> *Anthony Ubah *

>> On Fri, Jul 9, 2021 at 4:32 AM Owen DeLong via Community-Discuss <

>> community-discuss at afrinic.net> wrote:

>>> Daniel,

>>> With all due respect, no, we don’t. The voting record of board members

>>> in all matters AFRINIC

>>> is a perfectly valid thing to consider when they come up for re-election

>>> and should be a matter

>>> of public record.

>>> The members have a right to know how the board is acting on their behalf

>>> and they have a right

>>> to know which board members are acting in what way during board meetings.

>>> Everything requested should absolutely be part of the published minutes

>>> which the community

>>> and board agreed should be public several years ago.

>>> There are no privacy rights of the board as a body and the board members

>>> have no right or

>>> expectation of privacy in board actions. The only exception should be

>>> privileged or executive

>>> sessions, such as those dealing with personnel matters (e.g. the firing

>>> of the CEO, salaries, etc.).

>>> This motion should not fall within that criteria since the member in

>>> question was not invited to present

>>> a defense and was not in attendance at the meeting.

>>> Owen