[Community-Discuss] Clarifications & Clear Support to the INRS, to AfriNIC and its Regional Community

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Aug 27 21:49:28 UTC 2021

On 27 Aug 2021, at 5:18 PM, Paul Wollner <paul.wollner at africaoncloud.net<mailto:paul.wollner at africaoncloud.net>> wrote:
There are always two sides to a story.
There are always two sides to a story. https://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/2021-August/068571.html
Dear John:

The statements you made are very misleading.

Here are some clarifications: ...

Paul -

Two sides Indeed. I’ll spare the AFRINIC community from sharing entire discussion that just went down in the nanog and arin-ppml mailing lists – one can always review the referenced email archive if interested.

In short, Mr. Lu and I engaged on some points of discussion regarding my recent ARIN blog post <https://teamarin.net/2021/08/27/afrinic-and-the-stability-of-the-internet-number-registry-system/>

Upon review, I find no errors in the original article and reiterate –

Furthermore, and without reservation, ARIN stands by its unwavering commitment to support AFRINIC and will take any and all measures necessary to ensure that neither the African networking community, nor the global Internet number registry system, is operationally impacted during this period. AFRINIC was formed (and has accomplished so much) for the benefit of the African networking community and ARIN stands with the community in dealing with those who seek to disrupt or exploit it for their own benefit.

Suffice to say that I also took the opportunity to pose to Mr. Lu the question of its AFRINIC number resources and whether Cloud Innovation’s use of the blocks in question is within the remit and purpose for which they were originally justified but he indicated that "it is potentially part of ongoing litigation process that we are not able to comment publicly.”

One would hope that such a simple matter of fact would be quite simple to provide to the community, but apparently that is not the case.

Best wishes,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO