[Community-Discuss] FUNDRAISING & DONATIONS - TO KEEP AFRINIC RUNNING

Sander Steffann sander at steffann.nl
Wed Aug 18 17:54:15 UTC 2021

Hi John,

> These are quite reasonable questions for anyone donating funds to any

> cause to ask. [...] I find it quite encouraging that so many

> organizations have already pondered these questions, and (in

> recognition of the key role AFRINIC plays in the development and

> growth of Internet in Africa) that have come together in a fund-

> raising exercise to help keep AFRINIC running – may they find many of

> similar mind and kindred spirit from around the globe.

I applaud that people are thinking about the staff of AFRINIC not being
paid and raising funds to keep them going. The thing that confuses me
is how the logistics work with that. I wonder how the money that is
donated on TESPOK's bank account in Kenya will end up in the bank
accounts of AFRINIC staff in Mauritius while AFRINIC (who I presume
must handle the payments to the staff, tax payments and such things)
has its bank accounts frozen. Is it as easy as TESPOK paying the staff
and taxes directly without going through AFRINIC's bank accounts?

I think it would be good to know how the donated funds will be handled
and how they will make life for AFRINIC staff better.

To me this whole Game of Thr^W Lawsuits looks like a complex puzzle. I
have no direct stake in this as I am not an AFRINIC member, so I don't
expect anybody to feel like they have to answer me. But as a member of
the global RIR community I am very interested to see what I can learn
so I can put some pieces of that puzzle in the right place, so any
education to help me learn more about this would be highly appreciated
🙂

Cheers!
Sander