[Community-Discuss] FUNDRAISING & DONATIONS - TO KEEP AFRINIC RUNNING

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Wed Aug 18 07:17:50 UTC 2021

Not being a lawyer – I would actually like to know the legal position on this – because here is the way I see this.

AfriNIC has a contingent liability on their books of $50m dollars right now – and a net worth far below that.
Incurring any further debt – with no guarantee of success in the court case – may be classified as reckless trading.

Furthermore – I would like to know if the directors of AfriNIC have complied with their statutory requirements under section 162 of the act – which mandates that they call a board meeting to discuss appointing a liquidator or administrator. This part of the law – I don’t need a lawyer to interpret – because its pretty crystal clear:

162. Duty of directors on insolvency
(1) A director of a company who believes that the company is unable to pay its debts as they fall due shall forthwith call a meeting of the Board to consider whether the Board should appoint a liquidator or an administrator.
(2) Where a meeting is called under this section, the Board shall consider whether to appoint a liquidator or an administrator, or to carry on the business of the company.
(3) Where –
(a) a director fails to comply with subsection (1);
(b) at the time of that failure the company was unable to pay its debts as they fell due; and
(c) the company is subsequently placed in liquidation, 118 the Court may, on the application of the liquidator or of a creditor of the company, make an order that the director shall be liable for the whole or any part of any loss suffered by creditors of the company as a result of the company continuing to trade.

Since AfriNIC – has on calls with its members – openly admitted that they may be unable to service debt and that certain creditors have agreed to payment deferrals etc – and since there is absolutely no guarantee that sponsorship is going to cover debt – this is very clear – and it will be very interesting to see the minutes or the board meeting where this happens.

I am also very curious to see the resolutions regarding budget, since if the company is spending outside of budget – that requires a board resolution – which has to be published under the transparency rules. There is no way on planet earth that the budget would cover the kinds of legal fees they have been racking up – so – how much was the budget expanded – and what risks are being taken if spending is being incurred and they lose and still have to pay up with the lawyers etc? And how much money is going to be left by the time they finish paying the lawyers even if they win this – would a settlement not be cheaper at the end of the day?

Andrew