[Community-Discuss] Concerns Grow As AFRINIC’s Funds Are Frozen Over IPv4 Dispute

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Tue Aug 10 16:59:23 UTC 2021

In message <CAEqgTWaUeY0-mommpHisWENPG0hncimnzu6Kv7cddiPm10eR0Q at mail.gmail.com>,
Noah <noah at neo.co.tz> wrote:

>I thought I should share this interesting article by Doug Madory, Director

>of Internet Analysis at Kentik.

>a Lightning Talk at LACNIC in 2018, Etienne Sharp blamed "ghost companies"

>for spiriting into Latin America, setting up virtual offices to obtain

>precious IPv4 address space at little cost, and then proceeding to use the

>address space outside the LACNIC region. Russian security company

>DDoS-Guard (aka Dancom) was one of those ghost companies in Etienne's

>presentation, and earlier this year, LACNIC revoked its right to use the

>address space it obtained from Belize.*

As I have informed Doug Madory, the above passage is not entirely accurate,
because although LACNIC "investigated" the LACNIC IPv4 assignments it had
made to DDoS-Guard, LACNIC officials ultimately made the decision NOT to
revoke those assignments. (Anyone interested in the rationale for that
decision is encouraged to contact LACNIC directly for further information.)

Regards,
rfg