[Community-Discuss] ICANN ( NRO ) vs LARUS (NRA)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Aug 5 21:39:42 UTC 2021

> ~°~

> Abstract

> RFC 7020 <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc7020> provides information about the Internet Numbers Registry

> System and how it is used in the distribution of autonomous system

> (AS) numbers and globally unique unicast Internet Protocol (IP)

> address space.

> This companion document identifies the IANA registries that are part

> of the Internet Numbers Registry System at this time.

> ~°~

> ...i don't think we need to go back to the time

> when the IANA technical function was fully under

> US DoC/NTIA contract [5]...permit me to paste the

> below portion of text, from RFC7020, to conclude:

> ~°~

> [...]

> The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and

> Numbers (ICANN) currently fulfills the IANA role in accordance

> with the IETF-ICANN "Memorandum of Understanding Concerning

> Technical Work of the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority", which

> was signed and ratified in March 2000 [RFC2860 <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc2860>]. In addition,

> ICANN performs the IANA services related to the IP address space

> and AS numbers according to global number resource policies that

> have been developed by the community and formalized under a

> Memorandum of Understanding between ICANN and the Regional

> Internet Registries [ASOMOU <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc7020#ref-ASOMOU>] and documented in [ICANNv4 <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc7020#ref-ICANNv4>],

> [ICANNv6 <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc7020#ref-ICANNv6>], and [ICANNASN <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc7020#ref-ICANNASN>].

> [...]

> ~°~

> It cites a MoU between ICANN & IETF/IAB about

> IANA role; back in march 2000; NRO was created

That MoU is for protocol numbers, port numbers, etc. under the control of the IETF/IAB
and administered as the technical functions portion of the IANA role. It has nothing
to do with the Number Resource portion of the IANA role which is under the control
of the RIR system aka the NRO.

> on 24 october 2003 [4]. But ICP-2 [6] has been

> ratified by ICANN on 04 june 2001, so LACNIC

> enjoyed it first in 2002, then AfriNIC in 2005...

> ...ASO AC (1999) [7] predates NRO NC (2003).

> __

> [5]: <https://www.ntia.doc.gov/files/ntia/publications/ianacontract.pdf <https://www.ntia.doc.gov/files/ntia/publications/ianacontract.pdf>>

> [6]: <https://icann.org/icp/icp-2.htm <https://icann.org/icp/icp-2.htm>>

> [7]: <https://aso.icann.org/about/aso-icann/ <https://aso.icann.org/about/aso-icann/>>

Yes… This is an ICANN document that was created as part of its performance of the
IANA functions contract when that contract was being issued by NTIA.

> ...those public information are the base of my

> assertion...again, i admit that both the two

> directions could be proved to be true.

ICANN is now awarded the IANA functions contract with respect to internet number
resources by the empowered community which consists (for this purpose) of the
NRO EC.

ICANN performs the IANA functions for internet number resources according to the
policies developed through the global policy development process of the ASO,
under the administrative guidance of the ASO AC. The ASO AC is a synonym
for the NRO NC and the global policy development process is managed by each
of the five RIR communities passing identical policy through their respective
PDPs and then forwarding that to the ASO AC for submission to ICANN.
(this is an oversimplification, but the rest is not material to this discussion).

> But, icymi, *our* concern was about what Owen

> said, regarding ICANN. So, the same kind of

> thinking developed through nra.help...

I chose an unfortunately charged term “puppet” to talk about the fact that ICANN
does not have authority over the RIRs, but, rather the RIRs have authority over
ICANN even though addresses flow from ICANN’s main pool to the RIR’s
individual pools. The control structure is very much that ICANN performs
the actions (with respect to internet number resources) that the RIRs tell it to.

So while Mike (and others) don’t like my use of the word “puppet”, the reality is
that it is the NRO that pulls ICANNs strings with respect to Internet Number
Resources and even Mike has stated that it is a distinction without a difference.

> Hope this clarifies, something.

I hope you now have the clarity you seek.