[Community-Discuss] Update 04 Aug 2021

Brian Sowers b.sowers154 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 03:50:40 UTC 2021

Sooo in reading between the lines AFRINIC, in its defense against this lawsuit, failed to offer any exculpatory evidence to unfreeze its bank account. The court is simply adjourning a week and a half later to deliberate again. This is part of the legal bureaucratic headache I’ve criticized AFRINIC for finding finding itself in. It is not conducive to operations at large (the *internet* in *africa*) and short-term financial expedients cannot be sustained forever. If AFRINIC simply had kept the internet free for use, it would not find itself in this predicament. I appreciate this update from Eddy, but it doesn’t offer any hope to pro-AFRINICs other than a false optimism that AFRINIC builds an argument in the meantime to be even able to access its own funds. It’s ridiculously in denial to the point of having to ask what other alternatives there are to AFRINIC. Africa, let’s use RIPE for the global internet’s sake.

-Brian