[Community-Discuss] Call for AFRINIC’s registry service migration to other RIRs

Sylvain Baya abscoco at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 16:27:25 UTC 2021

Dear AfriNIC's Community,

Please see my comments below, inline...

Le dimanche 1 août 2021, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via Community-Discuss <
community-discuss at afrinic.net> a écrit :

> Hi Noah,

> Hi Jordi,

Thanks for your email, brother.

> Your interpretation on this is wrong.

...imho! it's not so clear who is wrong, though :-/

> Read my detailed email a few days ago.

> 11.4 Allows the Board to define any policy regarding Internet Resources

> that they believe is urgently needed.

...no! it allows the BoD to *submit* a DPP
(not to *ratify*), under critical circonstances.

It makes a huge difference, for me :-/

...yes! now, the BoD has also the right to act,
promptly in case of crisis. The BoD becomes
more accountable, with such additional freedom.
The BoD is allowed to varying the process in
time of crisis. They had two alternatives...they
did it, imho.

It's also worth noting that PDP prevail for Policy
Development.

> This can be implemented ASAP the Board decides. The Board MUST also send

> the policy (11.5), as a policy proposal (because is the only way the PDWG

> works to reach consensus),

...brother, it can not be a policy, but a DPP. Right?

> to the PDWG for endorsement in the next meeting. If the PPM doesn’t

> endorse it, then the Policy will decay, but whatever happened meanwhile,

> will be “legal” in terms of the PDP.

...it remains a DPP submitted by the BoD.
If adopted by the PDWG, it has to be ratified
by the BoD, then implemented by the Staff
as a new policy and finally added to the CPM.

> Now the question here is:

Right now, i don't see the need for an Inter RIR
transfer policy...too risky! as an IPv4 cost $30;
according to nra.help :'-( adding that it's now a
*"valuable asset" owned by resource holders*.

...things have changed since RFG shared the
results of his valuable researchs.

Since then, it appears that AfriNIC has recovered
a number of IPv4 blocks...part of the IPv4 which have been, sadly,
misappropriated are still on the
pipe...and also, it's possible to add a maximum
of two /11 and two /12 to the available IPv4
regional pool soon...

...right now, the problem to solve seems to be:

~°~
How to protect the INRs assigned to AfriNIC
to support the growth of its service region?
~°~

Shalom,
--sb.

> 1. From past experience in the other RIRs, implementing such Inter-RIR

> policy, takes a minimum of 6 months, probably even more (it took 12 months

> in other RIRs), because there is a need to coordinate all the RIR systems.

> AFRINIC can’t “force” other RIRs to change their own agendas and workflows

> to address all the changes “faster”. AFRINIC could be lucky and because all

> the other 4 RIRs already passed by this several times, may be the process

> is so much “adjusted” and fine tunned that it may be faster.

> 2. I already suggested many times the Board to do that, when I saw

> that the consensus was not achievable. They ignored that. So I don’t think

> they want to pass this now, more when there are several proposals in

> discussion and could be discussed in a PPM in a couple of months from now,

> the AC reconstituted, and the appeals resolved, etc.

> 3. The Board can meanwhile, take measures so the implementation of a

> possible “system” for an Inter-RIR proposal is advanced, in hope that one

> way or the other a proposal reach consensus.

> 4. All that said, I expect that if the Board decides to draft that

> proposal/policy, they make sure that there is a clear statement that

> ensures that before any transfer, there is a confirmation of the resources

> being transferred are following the existing conditions in the RSA, CPM,

> etc., otherwise.

> Regards,

> Jordi

> @jordipalet

> [...]

Best Regards !
__
baya.sylvain[AT cmNOG DOT cm]|<https://cmnog.cm/dokuwiki/Structure>
__
#‎LASAINTEBIBLE‬|#‎Romains15‬:33«Que LE ‪#‎DIEU‬ de ‪#‎Paix‬ soit avec vous
tous! ‪#‎Amen‬!»
‪#‎MaPrière‬ est que tu naisses de nouveau. #Chrétiennement‬
«Comme une biche soupire après des courants d’eau, ainsi mon âme soupire
après TOI, ô DIEU!»(#Psaumes42:2)