[Community-Discuss] Call for AFRINIC’s registry service migration to other RIRs

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Aug 4 00:28:48 UTC 2021

> On Aug 1, 2021, at 23:20 , Ish Sookun <ish.sookun at lasentinelle.mu> wrote:

> Hi Owen,

> On Sunday, 1 August 2021 21:36:55 +04 Owen DeLong via Community-Discuss wrote:

>> There are very few powers that be for dealing with a situation where an

>> RIR’s board and/or management run amok and contrary to the rules which

>> govern them. The NRO cannot make any significant action without the

>> unanimous consent of all 5 RIR CEOs, so the NRO has no capacity to act to

>> correct an aberrant RIR. The only actions available to correct aberrant

>> behavior by an RIRs board are the ballot box (replace the board over the

>> course of 3 years, or bring an appropriate resolution at a general members

>> meeting (annual or special)) or the legal system (courts). Unfortunately,

>> AFRINIC’s bylaws are structured such that an aberrant board is allowed to

>> block virtually any motion it doesn’t like from being placed on the agenda

>> of a general members meeting.

> I see that AFRINIC has about 1,931 (as per [1]). From observation, a small

> number of members have expressed themselves on the members list on this

> matter. I haven't read enough expression or support for non-confidence on the

> board on the members list.

> So, what does a re-election solve here? IMHO it does not solve the current

> issue, does not help with the case, does not guarantee members of any more

> stability of the AFRINIC infra, but only seems like a hard hammer on a group

> of people who already have a lot on their plate right now.

You misunderstand my statement.

I am neither advocating nor opposing such a move at this time. I am merely stating
the facts of what it takes to address the problem of an RIR board acting in
bad faith.

There seems to be a great deal of misinformation about some mysterious
powers that be which can somehow reign in such aberrant behavior by an
RIR board andI sought merely to correct that misinformation and clarify that
there really are very few alternatives for addressing the situation.

I agree that the immediate situation is unlikely to be resolved through the
electoral process and therefore I think you have made my point that legal
protection was the one and only primary avenue available to the aggrieved
partie(s).