[Community-Discuss] Joint statement on the current AFRINIC situation from the African Regional RENs

Boubakar Barry Boubakar.Barry at wacren.net
Tue Aug 3 07:51:20 UTC 2021

Dear All,

On behalf of the three African regional RENs, please find attached our
joint statement on the current situation at AFRINIC.

It says::
---

ASREN, UbuntuNet Alliance and WACREN are the regional research and
education networks interconnecting national research and education networks
(NRENs) across the continent (Northern Africa, Eastern and Southern Africa,
West and Central Africa).

African RENs provide connectivity and other services to millions of end
users in the education and research community (students, faculty,
researchers, administrators, etc.), and INRs are critical for the delivery
of these services.

The REN community is following with interest but also with concern the
heated debate on the current lawsuit against AFRINIC that led to the
freezing of its bank accounts, thus jeopardizing its operations.

Many years ago, members of the REN community expressed concerns about a
risk for AFRINIC, when a resource member publicly said that AFRINIC will
face bankruptcy if it dares consider reclaiming resources that many members
thought were assigned wrongly, or at least were not used as initially
indicated. It was, at that time, recommended to address this issue
seriously.

And here we are.

Anyway: the current situation is very serious and our community and the
friends of the African Internet community should stand together and fight
against those who want to destroy and bury AFRINIC.

Yes, there are things to improve at AFRINIC. But in this critical
situation, we urge all to stand by and support the Board and Management of
our organization.

We say no to any attempt to move the management of Internet number
resources attributed to Africa to any other organization.

Therefore, we, as representatives of the African REN community, express our
full support to AFRINIC Board and Management and invite all Africans and
friends of Africa to do the same.

Signed:

For ASREN (www.asrenorg.net): Dr. Yousef Torman, Co-MD

For Ubuntunet Alliance (www.ubuntunet.net): Dr. Matthews Mtumbuka, CEO