[Community-Discuss] ICANN / fake news

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Mon Aug 2 02:45:20 UTC 2021

In message <19166B87-4F3A-446C-8863-B2D39C28F1EE at delong.com>,
Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

>While people often mistake ICANN for some form of authority, the reality is that for number

>resources, ICANN is a puppet at the end of the strings pulled by the NRO

If thing go as you & Lu clearly hope it will, then we may perhaps be
able to witness an actual test of that hypothesis, i.e. we may find out
what the ICANN position is on all this, and what it may do or may be
willing and able to do in the event of some ACTUAL crisis... a crisis
which provably DOES NOT EXIST at the moment.

>I will also note, for the sake of completeness, that the NRO so far has not announced any

>approval, disbursement, or activation of the NRO stability fund.

Why should they? The lights are still on at AFRINIC, the servers are
still running and performing their assigned duties... you just sent an
email through one of them... and as far as I am aware, none of the
actual AFRINIC employees who administer and operate any of AFRINIC's
critical online systems have quit their jobs to look for gainful
employment elsewhere.

This is all a phony crisis... a tempest in a teacup... which has only
been given a thin veneer of reality by a small number of sock puppets
who are all quite clearly pushing the Cloud Innovation party line.

If, as I expect, the financial freeze order is lifted this coming Wedneday...
once BOTH PARTIES are at last before the judge and allowed to speak on
this matter... then this completely fake "crisis" will disappear like
a puff of smoke in the wind.

Regards,
rfg