[Community-Discuss] Call for AFRINIC’s registry service migration to other RIRs

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun Aug 1 17:47:10 UTC 2021

> On Aug 1, 2021, at 06:06 , Noah <noah at neo.co.tz> wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Aug 2021, 15:43 Andrew Alston via Community-Discuss, <community-discuss at afrinic.net <mailto:community-discuss at afrinic.net>> wrote:

> Let those who wish to run the risks of staying with AfriNIC through this situation do so

> - let those who choose not to accept the risk profile transfer out - problem solved.

> https://afrinic.net/policy/archive/inbound-transfer-policy <https://afrinic.net/policy/archive/inbound-transfer-policy>

> Noah

> PS: confusion of the highest order.

Who is confused, Noah? You?

That proposal (from 5 years ago) was submitted to compare/contrast and provide the community with
alternatives along side a proposal that supported bidirectional transfers. Both policies failed back then
and it was interesting because both failed due to the continuing conflict between a faction that felt
that there was no validity to a unidirectional policy (many other RIRs would not engage in transfers
to a region with a unidirectional policy) and a faction that continues to argue for regional
protectionism in a global economy and a global internet.

The faction that insisted on protectionism was able to kill the bidirectional policy and the faction
that rejected protectionism in the interests of being able to trade globally and participate as equal
citizens in the world market was able to kill the unidirectional policy.

So now, 5 years later, here we are again and it seems we have consensus on a bidirectional
policy that the board has yet to ratify, and, we have Andrew calling for the board to pass an
emergency outbound policy to mitigate risks to members.

Personally, I think the simpler and more expedient thing would be for the board to merely ratify
the existing consensus RTP, but Andrew’s suggestion could also mitigate risks for members.

The question now is whether the board will live up to its duties or once again create a fact
pattern likely to be viewed unfavorably by the courts.