[Community-Discuss] [ripe-list] Call for AFRINIC’s registry service migration to other RIRs

Lamiaa Chnayti lamiaachnayti at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 11:58:43 UTC 2021

Well yes, because at some point, AFRINIC will most likely find itself in
the obligation to ask for staff support from other RIRs to maintain its
operations, but probably until it’s too late. There’s too much to risk if
we don’t get any help from another RIR as soon as possible..

Le dim. 1 août 2021 à 10:58, Paul Wollner <paul.wollner at africaoncloud.net>
a écrit :

> Hello community

> I think I misused the word “take over” to spike some unfortunate

> sentiments.

> Let me try this again:

> In the interest of internet continuity, another RIR should help AFRINIC

> (by staff or infrastructure), to perform it’s core registration service

> function for the time being, until all AFRINIC litigation has been sorted

> to avoid disruption to our African end users and businesses.

> Regards

> Paul

> ---- On Thu, 29 Jul 2021 23:38:32 +0200 *Paul Wollner

> <paul.wollner at africaoncloud.net <paul.wollner at africaoncloud.net>>* wrote

> ----

> Apologies for the duplicate post, but the initial posting was too large.

> The concerns expressed by TISPA, as well as other concerned parties and

> especially by AFRINIC's own admission in the news outlet lexpress.mu,

> which is available at https://ibb.co/tmWCk0k, regarding the AFRINIC’s

> inability to keep providing its core registry functions due to its

> inability to meet its financial requirements.

> I suggest that in order not hold end users, ISPs and any other business's

> hostage, for the interest of continue service of AFRINIC’s core registry

> service, we should urgently call for NRO fulfil their responsibility as

> well as commitment to the global internet to take over AFRINIC’s

> registration service for the time being, until litigation is settled some

> time later. (

> https://www.nro.net/accountability/rir-accountability/joint-rir-stability-fund/

> )

> That way, no end user or business will ever impacted however results come

> out of litigation.

> Regards

> Paul Wollner

> --