[Community-Discuss] ICT Authority of Mauritius requests public comments on proposal to regulate Social Media

Arthur Carindal arthur at afrinic.net
Thu Apr 22 08:47:17 UTC 2021

Dear Ish

I acknowledge receipt of your email addressed to me.

Please allow me to reply in-line

> On 21 Apr 2021, at 21:58, Ish Sookun <ish at lsl.digital> wrote:

> Hi Arthur,

> On 22 February 2021 you tweeted [1] about a fruitful meeting between

> AFRINIC and the ICT Authority of Mauritius on initiatives to leverage

> Internet development in Mauritius.

> I asked whether those initiatives would be made public and you replied

> that they will be when finalized. Are those initiatives finalised yet?

The AFRINIC’s initiatives proposed to ICTA are still under review at their level.

> The ICT Authority published a Consultation Paper [2] on proposed

> amendments to regulate Social Media in Mauritius. Section 11.2 of the

> paper provides details on the infrastructure that the regulator proposes

> to set up in order to do a Man-In-The-Middle styled decryption of all

> Facebook traffic in Mauritius.

> This does not give the impression of leveraging Internet development in

> Mauritius. On the contrary it sounds like restricting development.

By reading it, should I understand that you would like to know whether AFRINIC's meeting with the ICTA would have contributed to the adoption of this ICTA’s Consultation Paper on proposed amendments to the ICT Act for regulating the use and addressing the abuse and misuse of Social Media in Mauritius <https://www.icta.mu/docs/2021/Social_Media_Public_Consultation.pdf> ?

For your information, please note that on 22 February 2021, AFRINIC met ICTA in line with the framework of AFRINIC’s engagement with Internet ecosystem stakeholders, which include public organisations, civil society groups and private sectors. The said meeting was about the review of the adoption and deployment of IPv6 in Mauritius. Both parties seized this opportunity to foster initiatives to accelerate the effective deployment of this protocol on the government and operators networks to allow Internet users in Mauritius to take full advantage of the IPv6.

In the light of the above, AFRINIC has neither been consulted for nor participated in the elaboration of this consultation paper.
Furthermore, please note that as the African Internet Registry, AFRINIC values ​​its neutrality by refraining itself to interfere in the formulation of any national policies to be adopted by a government or an ICT regulator, which may be out of the scope of its mission. <https://www.afrinic.net/history>
However, AFRINIC strives to advocate for a secure and open Internet (ref : https://afrinic.net/2017-04-05-keep-the-internet-open-to-all <https://afrinic.net/2017-04-05-keep-the-internet-open-to-all>)

Hoping to have answered your concern,

Kind regards

Arthur Carindal N.

Head of Stakeholder Engagement , AFRINIC Ltd.

t: +230 403 5100 | f: +230 466 6758 | tt: @afrinic | w: www.afrinic.net

facebook.com/afrinic | flickr.com/afrinic | youtube.com/afrinicmedia