[Community-Discuss] Yet more data base problems/inconsistancies

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Thu Nov 5 22:55:55 UTC 2020

In message <d3e5bb88-f09c-3eba-188f-e0ebb8107f94 at geier.ne.tz>,
Frank Habicht <geier at geier.ne.tz> wrote:

>in the file i found:

>; Source AFRINIC

>203.196.in-addr.arpa. NS ns1.ati.tn.

>203.196.in-addr.arpa. NS ns2.ati.tn.

>if there is a delegation for the "/16 equivalent" then one can't create

>a delegation for an enclosed "/24 equivalent" zone. [1]

>So probably the

>> domain: 35.203.196.in-addr.arpa

>object shouldn't have been allowed to be created / imported from RIPE...

Let me just say at the outset that I may perhaps not be on entirely
solid ground here... I may need to drag out my Cricket book and double
check this... but my belief at the moment is that what you just said
is not actually correct, that DNS is a bit like routing, where a more
specific can effectively override a less specific, and that there is
nothing to prevent separate and different delegations to both a
containing /16 and also to a /24 within that /16.

Regardless of whether that is correct or not, as I have already noted,
there is clearly a mismatch between what is present in the AFRINIC
WHOIS data base and the data that is present within the various files
within ftp://ftp.afrinic.net/pub/zones/ and this mismatch, this
anomaly, should be addressed in some manner, either by removing invalid
entries from the WHOIS or by adding entries to the zone files.

Regards,
rfg