[Community-Discuss] Cloud Innovation Displays Very Poor, If Not Criminal, Netizenship

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri May 29 11:45:21 UTC 2020

On 29/May/20 05:17, Paul Wollner wrote:

> In light of the accusations that have been made on 8 May, I feel that

> SEACOM neglected their duty to remove these objects when the client's

> contract came to an end. As the ISP created the records in the first

> place, the records should have been updated or deleted by them too.

> This shows poor corporate governance by SEACOM and it is ironic that

> their own employee in charge of these duties wished to make this

> public in an attempt to place blame elsewhere whilst the incompetence

> lies largely, if not solely, with SEACOM.

Not to state the obvious, but IRR objects do not create eBGP sessions -
people with beating hearts create BGP sessions.

> I was the person who created the objects in the respective databases,

> however I was no longer in the employment of SEACOM when Cloud

> Innovation's contract came to an end and hence no longer had rights to

> the route objects.

That may very well be so, Paul, but the RADB entry did not create
itself. And no one from SEACOM (present or past) asked anyone at Hutch
to create that entry in RADB.

> It is now almost a month later and the amount of resources wasted on

> dealing with this issue when it could have been resolved quickly and

> safely by the relevant parties is astounding and personally quite

> unsettling. This matter should be put to rest now. As a global

> community we are dealing with far bigger issues and we should be

> putting our efforts towards the greater good, not petty infighting

> fueled by drama and misinformation.

On the contrary. The community need to understand that this isn't an
issue that RPKI can protect against in its current form, and that we
should do everything we can to avoid such issues from every
re-surfacing, as today it's affecting SEACOM, but tomorrow, it's
affecting another operator.

Don't know what's more important - within our community - than a safer,
more secure, Internet.

Mark.