[Community-Discuss] Cloud Innovation Displays Very Poor, If Not Criminal, Netizenship

Dr P Nyirenda paulos at sdnp.org.mw
Wed May 27 09:07:49 UTC 2020

On 27 May 2020 at 0:46, Owen DeLong wrote:

> On May 26, 2020, at 08:27 , James <james.chirwa at afrinic.net> wrote:

> Dear Gregoire,

> Let me first of all thank you for sharing your concern as well as  seeking clarification regarding

> the matter under hand.

> You have sought  from AFRINIC an explanation as regard the term " delegation of IP block".

> As far as AFRINIC is concerned , it does not practice " delegation of IP Block". Its handling

> of IP Blocks involves only allocation, sub-allocation or assignment .

> In this context, delegation is used as a superset of the terms allocation, sub-allocation, and

> assignment.

Mmmm ... I am with James Chirwa on this one. I think allowing "superset of the terms" in
ploicy documents will lead to major confusion where the need to be precise is paramount.

> From the dictionary:

Policy documents contain a section on definitions that are precisely put there to avoid
common dictionary definitions like these, specifically to avoid confusion.

> ... cut ... <

> When number resources are allocated, sub-allocated, or assigned, the RIR, NIR, or LIR is, in fact,

> committing the administrative functions

> over said addresses to the recipient.

> This is well understood throughout the IP using community and I am surprised by James

> statement, especially in light of the following:

> https://www.afrinic.net/services/123-afrinic-policy-for-reverse-delegation-on-allocated-ip-addresse

This applies to DNS and not to IP address allocations and/or assignments.

I would like to refer you to extensive work done by the CCNSO Framework of Interpretation
Working Group (FOIWG) which did a lot of work in this area of DNS and produced its report
in 2014, see: https://ccnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/filefield_46435/foi-final-07oct14-en.pdf

We did this work in that working group to avoid this kind of confusion that you appear to have
here when using such words as "delegation" in identifiers.

> And of course, CPM 2.6: (https://afrinic.net/policy/manual )

> 2.6 Assignment

> An assignment is an IP address block given by an LIR to its end-users for their own usage. To

> "assign" means to delegate address space to an ISP or End User for specific use within the

> Internet infrastructure they operate. Assignments must only be made for specific purposes

> documented by specific organisations and are not to be sub-assigned to other parties.

The policy document here refers to the action "by an LIR" and not that of an RIR, lets not
confuse the two.

Regards,

Paulos
Dr Paulos B Nyirenda