[Community-Discuss] IPv6 helpdesk and deployathon (was [rpd] Cloud Innovation Displays Very Poor, If Not Criminal, Netizenship)

Willy Manga willy.manga at afrinic.net
Mon Jun 22 09:13:44 UTC 2020

Dear Noah,

On 04/06/2020 01:14, Noah wrote:

> [...]

> Hi Kangamutima,

> AfriNIC capacity development folk, have endeavoured to run training across

> the continent but i tend to believe it targeted mostly folk who had no

> influence in decision making in terms of deploying IPv6.

If you can influence or if you can deploy IPv6 in your network, we could
assist you. The first step towards deployment is to request support here
https://vox.afrinic.net/566354?lang=en .

In 2019, we received 66 valid helpdesk requests (out of 146 in total)
from 12 countries in Africa.

> Up until recently, they started running some deployathons which aimed at

> Ops/real world firing of IPv6 on-net for those who participate in the

> deployathons. I am not sure if this is yielding some results since it

> involves collaboration with industry folk who have IPv6 deployment

> experience.

In 2019, we organised 5 Deployathons in 4 countries, attracting 83
participants from 53 organisations.

With the helpdesk and the deployathon we have been able to achieve:

28 address plan in IPAMS
23 valid route6 object
16 IPv6 prefix
10 Correct RPKI ROA
10 Adverstised IPv6 prefix
5 IPv6 user traffic
2 IPv6-enabled DNS | customer

Of course, we can do more. :)

Kindly send us your request:

English: https://vox.afrinic.net/566354?lang=en

French https://vox.afrinic.net/658732?lang=fr

--
Willy MANGA
Deployment Operationalisation Engineer - DO Team