[Community-Discuss] Ongoing thefts of AFRINIC Legacy Resources -- Ongoing collusion?

Frank Habicht geier at geier.ne.tz
Thu Aug 20 04:52:27 UTC 2020

Hi Ronald,

I found this:
https://afrinic.net/become-member
- under "3. Type of Resource Membership" is some explanation.
LIRs provide internet services to other entities, and give IP addresses
to those other entities to use on their devices.

"EU" - end user organisations do not give IPs or internet services to
other organisations ("customers"). practically any corporate entity
(that's not an ISP) should fall under this.
Universities - should likely mostly be "EU", but I know already two in
Tanzania alone that are currently listed as LIR...
Research Networks on the other hand should surely be LIRs - giving IPs
to universities.

"PA" vs "PI"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provider-aggregatable_address_space
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provider-independent_address_space
https://afrinic.net/support/resource-members/what-is-an-allocation-or-pa-provider-aggregatable-ip-space
https://www.ripe.net/participate/member-support/copy_of_faqs/isp-related-questions/pa-pi

you won't see a difference out on the real Internet and in BGP.

generally, for PI space the Org of the user is the Org having the IP
from the RIR.
for PA space: the Org of the user (or the individual) is a customer of
the LIR (read: ISP) who got the IPs from the RIR.

a new member declares to AfriNIC "I'm an ISP" - they can justify IPs by
saying they will use it to provide Internet services to customers.
AfriNIC is known to ask for an ISP license to get convinced.
If a new university AfriNIC member says "I'm not going to give Internet
services to external organisations", they should become an EU-PI.

There are different "defaults" for the blocks sizes, but if justified,
more than the default is an option. At least when we have enough IPs.

Now an observation I just made:
from Feb 2007 until May 2014 "ORG-IA41-AFRINIC" was an LIR!
and a change from LIR to "MEMBER-ONLY" (at 2014-05-26 13:15) should have
come with removal of all resources, I believe.

Regards,
Frank