[Community-Discuss] AFRINIC legacy space ownership manipulation

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Nov 5 07:20:49 UTC 2019

Thanks, Dewole.

Perhaps the CEO needs to be given more leeway and authority when
communicating with the community. I am sure the CEO can use his best
judgment to determine when any information toward the public needs to go
by the Board for review.

I fear that if the CEO needs to run an inordinate amount of operational
matters via the Board (including communication), fatigue will set in and
little progress will be made.

Mark.

On 5/Nov/19 09:13, Adewole Ajao wrote:

> Makes sense. Especially on operational and PR issues such as this.

> Letting the CEO communicate will also reduce the sense of

> non-responsiveness that members sometimes feel (although it's

> unavoidable because the board has to convene and agree before any

> response can be given - even on simple issues whereas the CEO will be

> able to respond authoritatively to a large extent on behalf of AFRINIC

> the company).

> Dewole.

> On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 8:00 AM Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu

> <mailto:mark.tinka at seacom.mu>> wrote:

> Don't know if it's just me, but curious why this update (and the

> investigations associated with it) are not coming from our CEO.

> I've consistently said that I feel the AFRINIC Board are too

> involved in AFRINIC's day-to-day affairs, which, IMHO, need to be

> managed by the AFRINIC CEO and his team, both in front of and

> behind the scenes.

> I am somewhat disturbed that this culture does not appear to have

> changed even on the back of the appointment of the new CEO.

> Personally, I'd rather be hearing from the CEO and/or any of his

> staff, than the Board.

> Mark.

> On 4/Nov/19 22:45, Bope Domilongo Christian wrote:

>> Dear Community at large,

>> As the community may also, be aware, AFRINIC has attracted some

>> media coverage relating to suspicious activity in its WHOIS

>> database primarily a limited section of legacy resources.

On behalf of the Board, I would like to assure both the AFRINIC