[Community-Discuss] Gratitude (off-topic)

Saul Stein saul at enetworks.co.za
Fri May 31 11:21:18 UTC 2019

Hi All,

Reading from the minutes:

The CEO highlighted that the document that was shared on the community
mailing list was a public document, a public document that was received
directly from the Court and not subject to NDA and privilege, and was not
received in virtue of the employment at AFRINIC but received from the Court
registry. The CEO further affirmed that it was important and for the best
interest of the company to share the document to the community

Where is the conflict of interest?

The Chair pointed out that on the 9 February, he shared an email that he
wanted to hear the views of the Board before sharing the document to the
community.

The community had been calling for this information repeatedly. If the CEO
was not being supported by the Board in the daily operation of the
organisation, that is huge issue. There have been numerous instances where
the board has failed to communicate with it members (those very people to
whom the board is accountable and put the board there in the first place.)

With regards to the Agenda Items under discussion, VM pointed out that
matter of governance and sharing with the members should be under the
responsibility of the Board. The Board should have agreed as a whole to
release the document.

Sadly they were asked but the members and didn’t and so someone placed a
public document in a location so that those interested could view it.

Legal counsel had in a number of occasions highlighted that the judgment was
a publicly accessible document hence there was no reason to delay its
publication.

Since legal counsel had advised, why did the board still not comply?

Let’s add this current issue of a director that has been suspended from his
day job. While I am not going to jump to conclusions as to why (that is not
for us to judge), whatever happen is serious enough to suspend him. Good
governance and integrity would be for him to temporarily remove himself from
all decision making from other entities as well to prevent inference and
possible misconduct. Would you go to an accountant for private work while he
has been suspended from his day job? The board knew about this and failed to
act.

As a general rule, where there is smoke there is fire. People only hide
things where there are things to hide. We are a community based
organisation. There is very little data that needs redacting in the minutes
in general. Communication should be forthcoming and open!

All these issues really make one think about the objectives of the board!