[Community-Discuss] Reform Nomcomm - was Announcement for Final Candidate Slate for Open Seat on AFRINIC Governance Committee

Dewole Ajao dewole at forum.org.ng
Sun Jun 16 11:39:37 UTC 2019

Since we are on the topic of "reforming" NomCom, I wonder why our bylaws
state that candidates for appointment to NomCom shall *not* be domiciled
in a region where an open seat is being contested. I think a person
resident within a region is more likely to know and have access to
suitably qualified candidates and we should remove this restriction as
we try to improve the nomination.

If the sole intention of this restriction was to prevent
favoritism/bias, I think adding transparency to the process will quite
easily expose such. Or is anyone aware of other justifications for
having that restriction in place?

Dewole.