[Community-Discuss] Announcement for Final Candidate Slate for Open Seat on AFRINIC Governance Committee

Noah noah at neo.co.tz
Tue Jun 4 12:46:28 UTC 2019

On Tue, 4 Jun 2019, 15:15 Sander Steffann, <sander at steffann.nl> wrote:

> Hi Noah,
>
> > Read the bylaws especially section 13.8
>
> When there is no candidate then the current director will be re-appointed.

You missed the word "eligible" candidate!

Nomcom has since slated eligible candidate and candidates with different
slates having one or more candidate and candidates nominated.

Appointed != Elected.

There are upcoming elections scheduled where we members will be casting
votes for various candidates.

> >> No election -> no Directors
> >
> > Board can appoint.
>
> True. My statement was exaggerated. My apologies.
>
> An appointed board does not have a mandate from the members though, and
> for a bottom-up community ending up with more appointed than elected board
> members would not be good.

We have elections coming up soon and we intend to elect otherwise the board
would have to appoint or reappoint as its within its powers.

> Cheers,
> Sander

Noah