[Community-Discuss] Report of the AFRINIC Open Mic Session on June 20

Sunday Folayan sfolayan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 09:07:43 UTC 2019

Good point Mark,

The Board should remain Strategic at all times. Management should be
tactical, which staff should maintain operational excellence. While
tactical and operational advise can be freely given by the Board, the
temptation must be resisted, in crossing the lines.

It is not appropriate for a Board member to ask for trouble ticket
number(s) on a members list. It is not an act of doing good. An
operationally inclined Board will eventually hurt the organization.

Thank you for highlighting this.

Sunday.

On 24/07/2019 7:13 AM, Mark Tinka wrote:

> Personally, what stands out for me - and something I expressed to a

> few Board members during Kampala - is that the AFRINIC Board are

> awfully visible, both in public and non-public circumstances.

> I sometimes can't quite figure out whether AFRINIC is being run by its

> staff or the Board.

> I would like to limit the operational visibility of the Board, and

> expose more airtime with the AFRINIC staff on a number of matters,

> both strategic and operational.

> I do not discount the value and requirement of the Board, but I think

> it is overshadowing those charged with running the organization on a

> day-to-day.

> Mark.

> On 24/Jul/19 06:11, Owen DeLong wrote:

Michuki and Dawit,

> [...]

>> + The ability to appoint proxies for each and/or all of the specific proxy purposes

>> + Election of Directors

>> + Election of ASO/AC Representatives

>> + Voting on Motions on the agenda

>> + General representation in any other matter brought before the meeting

>> + Whether or not a proxy is an authorization to vote in a particular manner or a general authority

>> to act according to the judgment of the person appointed as proxy.

>> + Under extraordinary circumstances such as a meeting which runs well beyond its schedule, the ability to

>> appoint a proxy from the floor to act in one’s stead for the remainder of the meeting.

>> It is my opinion having observed this for several years that the structure of the board requiring specific seats to be allocated to

>> specific regions causes more problems than it solves and that AfriNIC would be better served by making all board seats

>> electable at large.

>> Election and Election Related

>> IMHO, the concerns must be addressed now, while there is no active election cycle. They should not be addressed by the

>> NOMCOM as by the time the NOMCOM is constituted, it is too late and the NOMCOM is technically somewhat conflicted

>> in such deliberations as they are the implementers of any such decisions made.

>> IMHO,the board should appoint an ad hoc committee comprised of board and community members to address these issues or

>> the board should task the governance committee with this job. In any case, the committee in question should be required

>> to provide an initial set of findings to the community (not filtered by the board) no later than the end of November. Community

>> input should be sought on the initial findings and the committee should provide a final recommendation to the community

>> and the board in the form of a set of actionable documents, board motions, and/or special or normal resolutions as needed

>> to implement said recommendations. This final set of recommendations should be provided to both the board and the

>> community in their entirety at the same time.

>> Member Perceptions

>> I think that the various conspiracy theories and accusations being bandied about by various parties are not worthy of

>> our time and should be dismissed.

>> I do not believe that anyone is out to destroy AfriNIC or any particular member organizations. Nonetheless, the amount

>> of attention being paid to these beliefs by some individuals is definitely creating an air of mistrust and causing strife

>> and additional difficulty for the community.

>> IMHO, the best way to address this is greater openness and transparency and more collegial behavior in general.

>> We should strive to live up to those standards. When we succeed, this will be much less of an issue, IMHO.

>> Observations and Conclusion

>> These are very well written and I could not agree more. Thank you again for producing such a well thought out

Sunday Adekunle Folayan
Managing Director
General data Engineering Services (SKANNET)
16 Oshin Road, Kongi Bodija, Ibadan - Nigeria
Phone: +234 802 291 2202, +234 816 866 7523
Email: sfolayan at skannet.com.ng, sfolayan at gmail.com