[Community-Discuss] Data protection

Ish Sookun ish.sookun at lasentinelle.mu
Fri Jul 12 17:24:03 UTC 2019

Hi SM,

On 7/10/19 8:25 PM, S. Moonesamy wrote:

> There was a thread in 2018 about data protection [1].  There is ETS 223

> [2] which is a modernization of the convention about data protection.

Thanks for sharing the archive link.

The email mentions the following:

"The Board believes that these regulations are not a barrier to
publication of the WHOIS data [..]"

and,

"The Board further believes that the biggest changes required by
AFRINIC are in documenting how personal data is used, and in
informing people at the time data is collected."

I do not recall that there was any specific mention about how the
personal data of resource members is used, at the time of registration.
This leads me to believe that the current practice is not compliant with
the data protection requirements.

Regards,

Ish Sookun