[Community-Discuss] AFRINIC Borad Elections

John Walu walu.john at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 07:51:28 UTC 2019

@ Owen

GDPR territorial scope extends beyond Europe since its is EU citizen
specific rather than geo-specific.

https://gdpr-info.eu/art-3-gdpr/

In other words, anyone (Data controller/processor) handling EU citizen data
is automatically subject to the GDPR in the event of a data breach -
irrespective of their geo-locality.

Ofcourse the main issue will be if the affected EU citizen will actually
file a complaint in the EU Courts or not. The second issue is whether the
EU courts will find the data controller guilty and if the fined/penalized
entity will to pay up or ignore given their remoteness to EU centers of
power. (nb:Facebook and Google have so far been paying up ;-)

Is AfriNIC bound by GDPR?

The simple answer is - it depends.
Do Afrinic processes and systems at any one point collect, store or process
data that contains EU citizens?

If the answer is NO. Then they are not bound by GDPR.
If the answer is YES. Then they are potentially bound by GDPR to the extent
that if that data is abused/breached, then they potentially face
sanctions/penalties from EU courts.

Either way, Mauritius has one of the most comprehensive Data Protection
legislation on the continent
<http://dataprotection.govmu.org/English/Legislation/Pages/default.aspx>
and any data breach can actually be litigated locally (without the need for
GDPR) with penalties to AfriNIC (if for example it is determined that email
targets/addresses were harvested from Afrinic digital resources without
consent from the data subjects).

walu.